Skip to main content

Sub navigation

Spring plants in Andover that could poison your pet

Gardens can look beautiful in springtime – but they can also harbour lots of dangers for your pets, especially seasonal bulbs like daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, crocuses and lilies.

These plants and many others are poisonous to dogs, cats, rabbits and other animals, so it’s very important to know which plants to keep out of your borders and discourage your pets from chewing or eating.

We’ve created a handy infographic that you can save to help you remember the plants that are most poisonous to animals – so take a look now.

Plus, if you have any doubts or are worried your pet might be taking too much interest in your garden plants, why not arrange a chat with a vet nurse at Strathmore Veterinary Clinic?

See our poisonous plants guide

Five vital actions if your pet eats a toxic plant

If your pet displays symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, mouth irritation or substantial drooling after spending time outdoors, or you actually see them eat a harmful plant, it is ESSENTIAL that you:

  1. Immediately prevent any further access to the plant and watch your pet carefully.
  2. Contact our practice immediately on 01264 352323 and explain what has happened.
  3. DO NOT WAIT for symptoms to appear or worsen.
  4. Don’t try to make your pet vomit, unless we advise you otherwise on the phone.
  5. Establish how much of the plant they have eaten, if possible.
  6. Bring your pet to see us and tell us you suspect poisoning as soon as you arrive. Also bring part of the plant, if possible.

As well as our infographic, you can use these resources to quickly check plants that are poisonous for your particular pets:

Got questions? At our vet surgery in Andover we’re always happy to chat about your pet’s health, so please feel welcome to get in touch.

Ask us about toxic plants

Back Forward Home Print Close

Please wait... loading